Mac look alike?

Fri Nov 27 09:42:01 UTC 2009

Patton Echols wrote:

> My daughter is interested in replacing her laptop and has said she is
> interested in a Mac.  Seems to be mostly because of the eye candy and
> the scroll type launcher.  But I've never used a Mac so I've no idea
> really what she is looking at.  Are there settings that could be used
> for a similar look and functionality on the desktop?  Are there
> things that a Mac does that can be cloned?  If there are suggestions,
> I will try it on her account on my desktop machine and see how she
> likes it.

There are OSX themes for both KDE and Gnome on kde-look.org and
gnome-look.org (or certainly used to be). These give the right look and
feel, but don't to much for the functionality. From what I recall, the
KDE one was more convincing.

For functionality, it depends which bits she particularly wants. Maybe
try the themes and ask what's still missing?

Of course, the big advantage, IMO, with a macbook is that they're built
like brick toilets. If I could afford one I'd get one for the hardware
alone.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)