media storage challenge

Thu Nov 26 16:41:40 UTC 2009

Allen Meyers wrote:

> Admittedly my ultimate shortcoming is file system and I need to
> configure a data partition I have labelled media/storage.
> /sbin/mkfs.ext3 -m 1 /dev/sda8 (this went well)
> Then I tried (hit and miss)
> mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /data2
> mount: mount point /data2 does not exist
> So can someone take me by the hand and give me the sequential terminal
> codes so I hve complete control of this partition as single user
> Happy Thanksgiving and thabk you for your attention

Does /data2 exist? You can only mount filesystems to mountpoints that
already exist. Traditionally, miscellaneous filesystems are mounted at
mountpoints under /mnt or /media unless they're wanted anywhere else in
particular.
Assuming such, you want:

	sudo mkdir /mnt/data2
	sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /media/data2

Which will give you access to the filesystem in the
directory /media/data2. If you want it anywhere else,
substitute /media/data2 for where you want it, but make sure the
directory already exists.
If it's only you using it, I'd be tempted to mount it as a directory
under your home directory:

	sudo mkdir ~username/data2
	sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 ~username/data2

But replace 'username' with your actual user name on the PC. You will
likely also need/want to make it owned by you:

	sudo chown -R username ~username/data2

You should, however, enter it into /etc/fstab if you want the mount to
be persistent across reboots. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

--
Avi Greenbury