Horrible problem with SAMBA -- Does Karmic work?

Pete Clapham pclapham at windstream.net
Wed Nov 25 01:17:15 UTC 2009

Tom H wrote:
>>> I have done a clean install of Karmic on my file server and am tearing my
>>> hair out. I'm almost ready to bolt for Red Hat!
>>> I have tried numerous times to set up SAMBA so that students can log into
>>> the system and access the files they need to access. They can't. The
>>> latest error is that the machine account isn't set up. But I can't find
>>> where the machine account is. When I upgraded from Jaunty (which worked
>>> fine), I got this error and was unable to delete the machine password from
>>> the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file to reload it. Now there isn't an
>>> /etc/samba/smbpasswd file at all, so the accounts must be stored elsewhere.
>>> Any ideas? Students can log in directly to the server or via ssh. The
>>> problem is samba, and it appears to be the machine accounts.
>>>

>> Thanks to the two who responded to this email. However, this still leaves
>> the question open as to whether I need to establish accounts for both users
>> and workstations; I assume I do. The TDBs seem to record the users
>> correctly, but they do not appear to record the workstations. The way I've
>> been doing this is, first, "useradd -M -N -s /bin/false<machinename$>",
>> then "passwd -l<machinename$>", then "smbpasswd -a -m<machinename>". I
>> get the message that users are added with the final statement (or deleted
>> with smbpasswd -x -m<machinename>), but then I get the message that the
>> workstation accounts aren't established when I try to log in on them. I
>> suspect that the smbpasswd program is trying to write something to
>> somewhere, but it's the tbd files that are actually controlling things. Do
>> I use pdbedit for this, as I do with the users?
>>
> I have only ever used pdbedit for listing users (with -Lw or -Lv) but
> it can be used to create, modify, and delete users and groups just
> like smbpasswd. It can also create and modifies account policies but I
> have not used these functions or even looked into them.
>
> Your useradd-passwd-smbpasswd sequence seems correct (I would have
> added "-g<gid>" or "-g 65534" rather than "-N" to the passwd
> invocation, out of habit rather than out of necessity AFAIK - and I
> assume that the missing $ at the end of the smbpasswd invocation is an
> email typo).
>
> Run
> pdbedit -Lv<hostname>$
> to make sure that you have "W" on the account flags line
> and
> to make sure that you have your domain/workgroup on the domain line
> (and not your server name)
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. How do you know that it is the machine accounts that are failing
> you? Please check your logs (or possibly increase the log level,
> restart samba, try logging on, and check your logs).
>
> 2. How is your smb.conf set up? Which security setting have you
> chosen? Do you have a netlogon section?
>
> 3. Do you really need to have a domain setup with machine accounts
> (since you seem to have just one box)?

Thanks for your input.  I've learned a lot more about the problem in the
last few days, and every time I think I understand what's going on I
find out I don't.  Students can log into the server locally and via ssh,
and they can access network resources via "net use @:
\\servername\share".  However, they can't log on using samba -- UNLESS
they are working on a workstation on which they were working before I
upgraded the server, and it has their Windows profile.  Then, they can
indeed log into the system under their own name, but the system gives
them the error message that it can't find their roming profile and it's
logging them on using their local profile.  This is very strange
behavior; it doesn't fall into anything I've ever seen before.

Anyhow, here's the smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.)
# Date: 2009/11/21 17:16:53

[global]
     workgroup = ERSL
     server string = Environmental Remote Sensing Laboratory
         netbios aliases = earth.sr-02-01.csuohio.edu
     interfaces = eth1
     syslog = 0
     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
     max log size = 1000
     logon drive = X:
     domain logons = Yes
     preferred master = Yes
     domain master = Yes
     wins support = Yes
     idmap uid = 10000-20000
     idmap gid = 10000-20000
     template homedir = /home2/%D/%U
     template shell = /bin/bash
     admin users = clapham

[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     valid users = %S
     read only = No

#[netlogon]
     #comment = Network Logon Service
     #path = /home/samba/netlogon

[print$]
     comment = Printer Drivers
     path = /var/lib/samba/printers
     write list = root, @ersladmin

[cdrom]
     comment = Samba server's CD-ROM
     path = /cdrom
     guest ok = Yes
     locking = No
     preexec = /bin/mount /cdrom
     postexec = /bin/umount /cdrom

[imaginex]
     comment = ERDAS Imagine files
     path = /applications/imaginex

[ghost]
     comment = GHOST files
     path = /applications/ghost
     valid users = clapham

[images]
     comment = Lewis Images Files
     path = /applications/images

[testdata]
     comment = Test Data Files
     path = /applications/testdata

[testques]
     comment = Test Question Files
     path = /applications/testques
     read only = No
     browseable = No
     browsable = No

[ESRIex]
     comment = ESRI imagery files
     path = /applications/ESRIex

[hcdn]
     comment = HydroClimatic Data Network
     path = /applications/courseware/hcdn

[hcdn92]
     comment = HydroClimatic Data Network Files
     path = /applications/courseware/hcdn92

[momnpop]
     comment = Mom and Pop Model
     path = /applications/courseware/momnpop

[gisrs]
     comment = GIS and Remote Sensing Support Files
     path = /applications/courseware/GIS-RS

[ETProject]
     comment = Common project files for ET Project
     path = /home1/ETProject
     valid users = amundsen, clapham, wells
     read only = No
[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     valid users = %S
     read only = No

Here's the pdbedit -Lv for one workstation.  You will notice that there
is a W in the proper place, and the domain is correct

Unix username:        columbia$
NT username:
Account Flags:        [W          ]
User SID:             S-1-5-21-1977151345-229110656-292509728-1066
Primary Group SID:    S-1-5-21-1977151345-229110656-292509728-513
Full Name:
Home Directory:       \\earth\columbia_
HomeDir Drive:        X:
Logon Script:
Profile Path:         \\earth\columbia_\profile
Domain:               ERSL
Account desc:
Workstations:
Munged dial:
Logon time:           0
Logoff time:          9223372036854775807 seconds since the Epoch
Kickoff time:         9223372036854775807 seconds since the Epoch
Password last set:    Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:35:41 EST
Password can change:  Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:35:41 EST
Password must change: never
Last bad password   : 0
Bad password count  : 0
Logon hours         : FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Any help you can provide would be very welcome.  As for your questions,
I think the first two have been answered.  As for the third, I am
actually running 5 servers and about 20 workstations.  It really does
make sense, both for the size of the operation and the nature of what
we're doing, to have a PDC.

cheers,
pete