[OT] gmane.org down

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 24 02:19:30 UTC 2009

On 11/23/2009 05:52 PM, James Taylor wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:17:46 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 11/21/2009 10:52 PM, James Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> On Ubuntu, Evolution is a pig for reading lists or for reading Usenet,
>>> whereas I can recommend Pan (available in the Ubuntu repositories).
>>
>> +1
>> There is no option to read x amount of headers. Instead Evolution
>> insists on download *all* headers from the newsgroup first & on a list
>> such as this with ~201428 headers that can take a very looooong time.
>
> The irony is that I've come up against a bug in Pan that causes most
> articles to disappear from the list before I get a chance to see them, and
> the only way to get them back is by deleting and reloading them all. Pan
> is a nice newsreader, but this bug is a show stopper so I'm going to have
> to find another newsreader. How do you find SeaMonkey? Is the newsreader
> component the same as Thunderbird?

It (SeaMonkey) is basically the same as Thunderbird (they use the same
code with some slight modifications). I have been running SM since the
first version & quite honestly seldom use anything else. I'll run Opera
and/or Thunderbird (3.x) to test once in awhile, but SM is my primary
browser, email client, and newsreader.

However, I do not use the outdated Ubuntu versions; instead I download
SeaMonkey from mozilla.org/SeaMonkey project
(http://www.seamonkey-project.org/) and extract to a home folder & run
from there. Note: I only run 32bit, Leonard Chatagnier can help with the
prereleased 2.01pre 64bit version(s).

I recommend that you give SM a spin - if you need assistance, let me
know and I'll be glad to help on, or off list.