rsync backup

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 01:22:15 UTC 2009

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 02:11:26PM -0700, Thomas K Gamble wrote:
>> On Monday 23 November 2009 11:37:38 am Robert Holtzman wrote:i

>>> I thought that's what rsync did by default.
>>>
>> Well, it seems you're right.  I've just gotten into the habit from using -h
>> with cp on systems that didn't have rsync.  Also, it seems this behavior is
>> documented rather obscurely in the --Ignore-times option description in the
>> man page.
>
> Believe me, that's not the only obscurity in the man page.

	I learned a way to get rsync to work by testing. I started
with a very simple task of putting /boot/ on the USB connected
HD with this command copied from a line given me, thanks.

	rsync -avg /boot/ /media/disk-1/test/

and this worked great! So I added some stuff to see if it works:
	rsync -avg /boot/ --exclude /grub/ /media/disk-1/test/

and this worked great as well!

	So now I did what I wanted with a --exclude-from and it now
looks like this:

  sudo rsync -avg /
--exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list/  /media/disk-1/test/

and this had an error I figured out ment the / right after
exclude-list was bad. So I tried:

  sudo rsync -avg / --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list
/media/disk-1/test/

and this backed up my computer! I tried a partial backup and
it worked fine.

	So that is how I got it working.

73 Karl

--