Setting Gnome appearance preferences from a script

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:13:43 UTC 2009

Is there a way to increase the size of the mouse pointer in GNOME from
within a script? (I know this also means choosing a cursor theme -
AFAICS, the "default pointer" cannot be resized.)

In other words, the same as using the GUI to do:
System | Preferences | Appearance | (pick a theme) | Customise |
(click Pointer tab) | (select a resizable theme, e.g. DMZ White) |
(Slide the "size" control to the far right, the largest size)

I'd also like to turn down the mouse sensitivity, too.

I'm writing a script to configure Ubuntu-based boxes for use older
people and fine mouse control takes time to master - as does spotting
the pointer itself!

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508