groupinstall / grouplist equivalent in ubuntu?

Arthur Johnson arthur.johnson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 15:25:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Ryan Chan <ryanchan404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any groupinstall / grouplist equivalent in ubuntu?
>
> So I can install mass program without one by one?
>
> Thanks.

Ryan,

In Debian based systems, like Ubuntu, groups are handled through two mechanisms:

1. meta-packages.  These look like regular old packages.  For
instance, to install development tools, the command to install would
be:

apt-get install build-essential

To install the Xfce desktop, you would install the "xfce4" package, and so on.

2. tasksel.  This is a graphical menu that will allow you to select
groups of packages, such as specific server, desktops, etc.