rsync backup

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 23:37:02 UTC 2009

Chris wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:08:57 -0700
> Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 	I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
>> my linux. I was using rsync -avg /  exempt/media exempt/dev  .
>> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>>
>> 	I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
>> Google but their info is trivial.
>>
>> 	Is anyone using something like this?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Have a look here, Karl.
> http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/87/26/

rsync -rtvogpclz --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list /
/media/disk-1/rsync/

In this rsync setup the excluded directories are in
/home/karl/bin/exclude-list. This looks like:

/proc/*
/sys/*
/dev/*
/lost+found/*
/var/log/lastlog/*
/tmp/*
/mnt/*
/cdrom/*
/media/*

and the place I want to put the backup is on a USB hard drive
at /media/disk-1/rsync.

Most of this is from the fedora list you showed me. It runs
but it sends NOTHING to the USB Hard Drive. What am I missing?

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User