rsync backup

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 21 18:23:26 UTC 2009

Karl Larsen wrote:
> 	I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
> my linux. I was using rsync -avg /  exempt/media exempt/dev  .
> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>
> 	I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
> Google but their info is trivial.
>
> 	Is anyone using something like this?
>
> Karl

I have the following in a a script that backs up the entire disk to a
500GB usb drive that I mount on /backup.

sudo nice --adjustment=10 rsync -rlpgouvtS --progress -v
--delete --modify-window=1200
--exclude-from=/home/your_name/rsync-backup_exclude / /backup

The rsync-backup_exclude fike looks like:
/proc/*
/sys/*
/dev/*
/lost+found/*
/var/log/lastlog
/swapfile
/usr2/*
/usr3/*
/tmp/*
/net/*
/mnt/*
/cdrom/*

You probably don't have all of the same mount points that I do, so edit
to taste.

don
|    Don Fisher                         hdf3 at comcast.net        |
|    865 W. Cresta Loma Dr.             VOICE: (520)888-7613    |
|    Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705                                     |