Installing tar.gz files

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Sat Nov 21 16:19:10 UTC 2009

On 11/19/2009 11:55 AM, intrader wrote:
> devan wrote:
>>
>> Hello Ubuntu users,
>>

>>   I am new to Ubuntu and I am very confused.  I recently installed
>> Ubuntu 9.04 and I have a tar.gz file of dvd::rip that I would like to
>> install.  Could someone please send very clear instructions to me on
>> how to do this?  I am not used to using Terminal or anything on
>> Ubuntu.  Thanks.
>>

> Go to the folder where you have the .gz file; this is an archive format
> file. Right-click should show 'Archive Manager' is able to open the
> archive. What do you have inside the file (.gz archive)? If the file or
> files you are trying to install, chose (or create) a folder under your
> home folder and 'Extract' the file(s). Once you have done that, one file
> is use to start your program. That file you must tell the system it is
> excecutable via the command 'sudo chmod +x /theFile/', then click on
> file and that should do it.
> Enjoy

This would work if it is a binary. Most likely it is the source code
which is usually distributed in tar.gz and requires compilation.

To the OP, DVD::RIP is in the Ubuntu repositories. You can find it in
the software center or install the dvdrip package (see:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/dvdrip). No need to download source to
compile it.