Is there a CONF file for groups???

Ian Coetzee ubuntu at iancoetzee.za.net
Fri Nov 20 13:50:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM,  <pclapham at windstream.net> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I have set up a server with Karmic and about 30 users, each of which belongs
> to group "students." This group is their primary and only group. The problem
> is that they cannot log into the system! Not locally, not via ssh, not via
> samba. It would appear that new groups do not have, by default, logon
> privilege. Does anybody know of a conf file that would give specific
> privileges (such as access to the system) to a group?
>
> Thanks.

Not from the top of my head, however I just tested (on a 9.04 box mind
you) and this is the results

root at nagios-server:~# useradd test
root at nagios-server:~# groupadd testers
root at nagios-server:~# usermod -G testers
root at nagios-server:~# usermod -G testers test
root at nagios-server:~# passwd test
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully

login as: test
Server refused our key
test at 192.168.1.94's password:
Linux nagios-server 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18
18:40:08 UTC 2009 i686

logging in a new user + group and the user can log in

Come to think of it there IS a file that would deny users login
rights, however I would have to google it (had to use it 2 years or so
ago to deny some hackers from entering the system)

HTH
Ian