little survey on email habits

Cyborg Alpha cyborg.alpha.v1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:44:48 UTC 2009

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Cyborg Alpha <cyborg.alpha.v1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Threads are good if you don't get a lot of email.
>>

> It depends how you want to read that mail, and what you want to do with
> it.
>
> Personally, I find threading invaluable for my mess of a work inbox
> which probably gets ~100 mails a day.
>
> My threads are sorted by the date of the last mail in them, so it is
> still date sorted, and easy to see what's going on, and it's also
> pretty trivial to go back up the conversations.
>

> --
> Avi Greenbury
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions

The problem for me is I often have to track three or more threads at a
time. Having the date sort, and filter to isolate priority threads,
allows me to do this without have to do too much scrolling to find the
thread I want. For example, I'm bug tracking Ubuntu, as I move further
into development, there is a possible bug, I've identified, and am
tracking a thread for this on the tech support list - and I'm in this
thread; all at the same time. I use TBird to segment email into
departments (for the full scope of computer science & cybernetics) of
which Cyborg Alpha is one project.

As for going back, important (priority) threads have theirown folder
(isolated by a filter).