Possible to save a complete thread?

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:54:51 UTC 2009

2009/11/16 HermanAA <hermanaa at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 11:43 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> Isn't it easier just to do nothing? Just don't delete anything and
>> they will always be available for you on the mail server, right?
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>
> It is easier for sure.
>  (... and Google was set up to do it that way ....)
>  Plus there is a back-up in the Ubuntu-users archive .....
>  Perfect!
>
> It does not work for me because of limited time (and, more-and-more:
> limited memory, getting old).
> I know I would not get back to the server to find out about 'Possible
> to save a complete thread?' (see subj of this msg). Not to mention that
> I forgot (the existence of it).
>
> But when browsing the 'myLinux' folder, I see a clearly marked folder.
>
> I save what I need for my Linux learning. Topics that I like to learn
> about (or really NEED, or that are just plain interesting).
> I save by topic, marked my own way, assisting my limited (poor) memory.
>
> It makes VERY interesting reading (for me).
> As it is much less than 1/1,000,000 of the volume on the server, I
> actually get back to reading these messages.
> Especially in times of trouble/need ....
>
> This is a lot more practical for me.
>
> All this material is backed-up.
> My system can go bad tonight, with no substantial loss tomorrow.
> Plus:
>  I can skip all threads on rescue subjects.
>  (just one of many subjects that I can ignore).
>  That helps me to concentrate on core (MY-Linux-core) subjects.
>
> I think I am making Linux progress in my limited time and in a pleasant
> way. Just one tiny step at a time.
>
> The Ubuntu-users list is a valuable addition to all the above.
>  THANKS to all on the list.
> And (again) special Thanks Andrew Farris for his well-thought-out answer.
>
> Herman in Philippines.

OK. I have Evolution installed but I almost never use it, at least not
for email. I use my web browser and GMail. I never delete anything, I
just ”Archive”. When I need to look at something I do a simple search
and when I find the subject line I was looking for I have the rest of
the whole conversation too, just like that… I can't see how it can be
more simple. Before I had GMail I used Opera M2 for email. It was the
same thing. Search for some words, find your thread and the whole
conversation is there. I think it is the same with all email clients,
at least it should be.
Ok, just wanted to mention it. Of course you do what you think is best for you.

Johnny Rosenberg