Gnome upper panel not responding...???

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 15 19:55:36 UTC 2009

On 11/15/2009 01:26 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> and I wonder if:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
>> $ sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>>
>> would have accomplished the same?
>>

> I have severe panel problems and  it didn't work for me.
>
> graham at graham-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>   gnome-desktop-environment: Depends: fast-user-switch-applet (>=
> 2.22.0) but it is not installable
>                              Recommends: fam but it is not going to be
> installed
> E: Broken packages
> graham at graham-desktop:~$

You apparently are running karmic & there is no fast-user-switch-applet
for karmic:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fast-user-switch-applet

But that probably was the wrong package to suggest anyway
(gnome-desktop-environment). From my Jaunty system:
$ apt-cache policy fast-user-switch-applet
fast-user-switch-applet:
  Installed: 2.24.0-0ubuntu13
  Candidate: 2.24.0-0ubuntu13
  Version table:
 *** 2.24.0-0ubuntu13 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt-cache policy ubuntu-desktop
ubuntu-desktop:
  Installed: 1.140
  Candidate: 1.140
  Version table:
 *** 1.140 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt-cache policy gnome-desktop-environment
gnome-desktop-environment:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:2.22.2~4ubuntu6
  Version table:
     1:2.22.2~4ubuntu6 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe Packages

As you can see (and I should have checked first), it's in the universe
packages. Perhaps:

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-panel

would have been the better guess.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gnome-panel

But for your issues; what specifically are you having problems with? If
it's the same (Gnome upper panel not responding) post. If different,
then it might be better to start a new thread :-)