Ubuntu 9.10 boot problems after automatic update

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Nov 14 09:31:34 UTC 2009

valhalla2100 at comcast.net wrote:
> I got another automatic update tonight.  After the update was
> completed I got the screen of death.  Attempted to reboot and
> I got a message that certain files were missing and I had to
> so a reinstall.

I don't think I ever saw that message but was there some info which
files were missing? Maybe they could be copied from a LiveCD.

> Will this re-install delete the files of the previous 9.10
> environment?  Will I be able to access them?

Yes, a reinstall usually deletes everything of the previous install.
However your personal files can be preserved if you select the manual
partitioning during the installation dialog. There you select the same
file system you have now (probably ext3 because yours is an upgrade from
9.04) and don't select to format the partition. You will get a warning
with an explanation that system directories will be removed but the
/home directory will be preserved. However I would recommend to backup
your important files to an external drive anyway. You can do that from a
LiveCD before you start the installation.

Nils