More woes automounting USB drive on karmic

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 19:39:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:54 AM, <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm still having problems automounting a USB hard drive w/ 5 partitions on
> Karmic at boot time.
>
> Here's the relevant portion of /etc/fstab (This worked fine under Jaunty):
>
> # /media/jupiter was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
> UUID=5af75fba-045b-41c1-ae54-f7c5bc133694 /media/jupiter  ext3    relatime
>        0       2

I would try this using folders that exist.  Create a folder like
/mnt/jupiter and try replacing "/media/jupiter" with "/mnt/jupiter".

The reason I say this is that /media is a special folder intended for
hot-plug devices (devices where the folder doesn't exist beforehand and
Ubuntu creates it when you plug in the device).  So folders in /media are
fair game to be deleted at any time.  And /etc/fstab should expect the mount
point to exist always.

I expect this will increase reliability, too.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own