Troubleshooting touchscreen && hal

Xandros Pilosa folivora.pilosa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 23:27:57 UTC 2009

Dne 11.11.2009 (sre) ob 21:45 +0000 je Nasa zapisal(a):
Hello Nasa,

<snip>
> -- On the log file, it shows the synaptics driver being loaded (as you mentioned)
> and it shows that a driver for "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController" couldn't be loaded
> or found.  I only have the one touchscreen installed, so I am unsure why two
> devices for it are showing up.

> (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 1.1.2
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
> (--) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: no supported touchpad found

Note: touchpad,  not a driver, so synaptics module is loaded for eGalax,
and of course it can't find touchpad

>  (EE) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController Unable to query/initialize
>  Synaptics hardware.

Note: Synaptics

> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "eGalax Inc. USB
> TouchController"
> (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

So xorg unloads the synaptics module and gives up.

I stil can't see 2 devices in this log. If you mean this:

(--) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: no supported touchpad found
(EE) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController Unable to query/initialize...

it is the message for same device, with different markers (--) probed, (EE) error

> -- As you noted, the correct driver would be evtouch.  However, the .fdi file (posted
> above) doesn't seem to be getting read to ensure the correct drive is loaded.  This
> would be the crux of my issue...  I was under the impression that 9.10 was suppose to
> work with most (if not all) touchscreens using this driver.
>
> --BTW: the xorg.conf file is basically empty as with Ubuntun 9.10, HAL is suppose to
> handle all of that.  And for the most part it does.

Yes and I apologise once again for rushing in without verifying which
version you are dealing with.
Why xorg or hal is pushing synaptics driver for the touchscreen is a
mystery and I can't check it myself, as I have no touchscreen at hand.
As I mentioned in my other post, maybe you can try to ditch "touch"
string from "info.product" key in fdi.

Regards