Troubleshooting touchscreen && hal

Xandros Pilosa folivora.pilosa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 20:43:49 UTC 2009

Dne 11.11.2009 (sre) ob 14:31 +0000 je Nasa zapisal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I have  modified a fdi that I am trying to use with my touchscreen... I can tell it isn't being seen
> as the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows the following:
>
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device eGalax Inc. USB TouchController
> (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//synaptics_drv.so
> (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> 	compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.1.2
> 	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> 	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
> (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 1.1.2
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
> (--) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: no supported touchpad found
> (EE) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController"
> (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

Hello Nasa,

this log just tells us, that xorg is loading synaptics_drv.so module for
your touch screen, which is evidently not the right module. It is
touchscreen, you are writing about?
As far I can remember, the right Xorg module is evtouch (OSS) or the
proprietary module from manufacturer, which can be freely downloaded
from here:
http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eGalaxTouchDriver/linuxDriver.htm

Why this happens, I can't tell from info you provided. If I may make a
goes, it could be wrong settings in your xorg.conf file.

> The file (50-eGalax.fdi) has been located in:

<snip>
Some time ago, when I fiddled with Egalax ts in Hardy, I did not have to
make any intervention to hal routine. Ts was automatically recognised as
HID device, correct kernel module (usbhid) was loaded and appropriate
"/dev/hiddev0" node created.
You can check type of device with:

lsusb -v
and search for string under Egalax :
"bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device" for HID
"bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class" for non HID type.

or

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
and search/grep for "TouchController" and "HID"

This is important, as (from EETI Egalax Driver Guide):

<quote>
The HID compliant TouchKit device should NOT work with inbuilt
USB kernel module “touchkitusb” or “usbtouchscreen”. Instead, it
should work with “usbhid” or TouchKit USB kernel module “tkusb”.
It is suggested to add “touchkitusb” and “usbtouchscreen” into the
file “blacklist” in /etc/hotplug or /etc/modprobe.d to avoid conflicts.
</qoute>

So I would first check device type I have,
if I have appropriate kernel module loaded for it and then decide which
xorg module I will use:
evtouch or proprietary, but I'm sure not synaptic.
Anyhow, even if you go with evtouch xorg driver, you may find useful to
read the documentation
which is included in the driver package from the manufacturer in the
link above.
In my experience, proprietary driver from eeti just worked exceptionally
well and doc for installation and configuration is straightforward.

> Additionally, hal list two devices for the touchscreen (as one can see from the log).

Not really, I can just see wrong module loaded, but this is just log
from the xorg and xorg module.
As for device recognition and kernel modules for them, you may find
kern.log, dmesg or syslog more useful.
<snip>

Regards