Installing Ubuntu 9.10 side by side (twice), on different hard disks

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 10 23:32:04 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>

>> Don't know that you even need two MBR's but no expert here.  Curious, have you ran sudo update-grub after installing. Perhaps on both drives.
>>
> Leonard, yes, it is normally not necessary to have mbr set to different
> disks/drives, but I think it is a good practice, particularly in case of
> disk failures.
>
> Also, there might be some form of 'pre-boot', usually in the form of
> bios tweaking, but also where there are multi-OS situations where having
> a 'pre-boot' may save some hassles of updating boots, like kernel
> changes of many different OS. Well, having a mbr on a disk can also make
> the disk 'portable' and transferable to other systems as well.
>
> Regards,
> Goh Lip

Thanks for the confirmation although I never  think in terms of having a
portable drive as
all mine are fixed in place.  Your second para just lost me(bios
tweaking and pre-boot) as did
your reply about update-grub and reason why I didn't reply.  One thing I
need to do sometimes
is read up on grub2 and have retained a post where a link info was
mentioned.  Grub-legacy
was simple enough for me and always just worked; thank goodness grub2
just worked on my
two karmic beta installs and required no interaction on my part.  Your
needs and interaction
go well beyond my needs and understanding so keep up the good work.

Len