Karmic PolicyKit-1, grant access to user

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Nov 10 15:02:54 UTC 2009

Rashkae wrote:
> As I discussed earlier in my rant thread, PolicyKit has been replaced
> with PolicyKit-1, but there is now no gui to configure any of the policies.
>
> It was easy enough to find the /usr/share/polikit-1 folder and I can
> modify the entries there to change the deault policies to my heart's
> content, but I can't figure out how grant access to a specific user.
>
> For a real world example, suppose I want to give my primary user
> permission to use sound devices, whether or not I'm currently the active
> console user.  (This is something I did in Jaunty so music would keep on
> playing even though I'm logging in to another system remotely on a
> second x session.)
>
> I can't even find in what file that setting is stored in the old
> policykit, let alone how to transfer it to policykit-1

Getting closer:

I found the appropriate documentaion here:

http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/polkit/pklocalauthority.8.html

And can now control such things as power suspend and hibernate.

However, I can not find how Ubuntu now configures device access.   This
used to be done by the old policykit, but can not find any polikit-1
"action" that would give me direct access to devices.  However, if I
getfacl devices like sr0 and audio, something is granting rw to the user
of the active console.  Any suggestions as to where to look for this
configuration would be welcome.