Yup, Karmic is somewhat of a disaster

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 9 23:46:16 UTC 2009

On 11/09/2009 03:22 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> And no, I'm not complaining about some bug that wrecked my install or
> upgrade.  At least that part seems to be really smooth.
>
> But the new gnome is a wasteland.  Many components have been updated
> that are not close to being ready for prime time.  Some examples:
>
> GDM - lots of threads already about how hard it is to control the face
> browser.  What about enabling xdmcp, or disabling suspend/hybernate on
> systems where does might cause trouble? (without remove the shutdown
> buttons entirely, though that might be the best option).  GDM was
> completely replaced, but no framework or gui was put in place for
> configuration, and documentation is well hidden.

You won't get much of an argument there... However there is a very
limited gui: System|Administration|Login Screen. But it's pretty much
worthless except for turning on autologin.

> Same thing with configuring sounds.. don't like the sound theme?  turn
> all sounds off.

System|Preferences|Sound|Sound Effects
Bark
Drip
Glass
Sonar

And of course, there's always:
$ sudo apt-get install sound-theme-freedesktop
etc. But then you'd need to figure out how to get those to show up in
System|Preferences|Sound|Sound Effects is beyond me :-)

> And last on my discovery, policykit was replaced with a new framework,
> but no gui configuration tool whatsoever.  Want to control what users
> have permission to do what?  get your text editor out.

System|Administration|Authorizations