problems in upgrading to/installing Ubuntu 9.10

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:32:56 UTC 2009

>> grub-rescue> = GRUB has not found the right partition/disk. You can
>> use "ls" to locate the right partition/disk, load sh:grub>, and boot.
>>
>> grub rescue> ls
>> grub rescue> ls (hd0,X)/boot
>> grub rescue> ls (hd0,X)/boot/grub
>> # where sdaX is the correct Ubuntu partition #
>> # if they list the contents of /boot and /boot/grub #
>> # load normal.mod to go to the grub shell
>> grub rescue> insmod (hd0,X)/boot/grub/normal.mod
>> # try to boot using the following #
>> sh:grub> configfile (hd0,X)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>> # if "configfile..." above fails #
>> sh:grub> root (hd0,X)
>> sh:grub> insmod /boot/grub/ext2.mod
>> sh:grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.x.x root=/dev/sdaX ro
>> # where sdaX is the correct Ubuntu partition #
>> # where vmlinuz-2.6.x.x is the correct kernel #
>> sh:grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.x.x
>> # where initrd.img-2.6.x.x is the correct initrd #
>> grub> boot

> Tom, where did yoiu find the info for grub rescue? I was messing around
> trying to get a virtualbox rawdisk working the other day & encountered
> 'grub rescue' when the vm started & for the life of me I couldn't find a
> doc or info.

I read the following on http://grub.enbug.org/Manual :

"The grub-rescue> mode is a more restricted subset of the grub> shell.
Some commands are phrased differently here for easier use. Try help to
start.

"Useful tip: try to load normal mode: insmod /boot/grub/normal.mod

"After this command help will show normal as possible command. Try it.
Normal mode will be loaded. Now try to load ls (insmod
/boot/grub/ls.mod), help and so on."

And switched to grub-rescue> from sh:grub> and looked into what
restricted meant.