some quesitons about install ubuntu

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Nov 9 07:51:45 UTC 2009

loody wrote:
> I intend to install 9.04 instead of upgrading from 8.04 directly, but

Just in case you didn't notice: the latest Ubuntu version is 9.10, not
9.04.

> it makes me crazy when I think about reinstall all the packages on
> 8.04.
> Is there any batches or config which can help me to install all the
> packages I install at 8.04 to the new distribution without typing
>  them one by one?

Someone explained it on the German list some time ago: While you are
running 8.04 enter the command

sudo dpkg --get-selections > packages.list

in a terminal. It saves a list of installed packages in the file
packages.list in your home directory. Move that file to a location which
isn't overwritten by the new installation (e.g. USB stick). After
installing the new system, copy the file back to your home directory and
use the commands

sudo dpkg --set-selections < packages.list
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade

in a terminal. And please note: I didn't try this myself because I
prefer upgrades instead of new installs.

Nils