Configuring Wireless on openSUSE

John Scott fyrbrds at aim.com
Sun Nov 8 22:11:42 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com>
Sent: Sun, Nov 8, 2009 5:26 am
Subject: Re: Configuring Wireless on openSUSE

Robert Holtzman wrote:

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, John Scott wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Bunyameen Mohamed <bunubuntu at gmail.com>
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Fri, Nov 6, 2009 2:43 am
Subject: Configuring Wireless on openSUSE

>>The default Network tool installed by suse in 11.1 is crap. It is easy
>>to click from the panel but it has no options and does not support WPA

>Hang on, Bubba! That ISN'T true at all!! OpenSUSE DOES support WPA
>personal AND enterprise in 11.1. Considering I've used it on a number
>of boxen since 11.1 released, I can speak with full authority!

If you reread the statement, I did not say SuSE doe not support WPA. I
said the default tool does not list it and that he should switch config
tools. I went on to say that it took me a week to get it working.
Obviously it would not make sense to say WPA is not supported and then
say in the next sentence that I got it to work. I don't know which tool
he is using but if WPA is not an option, do not assume that it is
simply automatic. If it is not listed, it will not work in the default
tool. I am simply trying to help him avoid wasting time by thinking he
is doing something wrong when he may be using a tool that does not even
try to connect to a WPA AP. That info would have saved me a week when
this happened to me.

John