KDE logout

Doug Robinson dkrr at telus.net
Sun Nov 8 16:50:02 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>    I have installed 9.10 on my system and most often
>> a "logout" or a "shutdown" attempt fails. Sometimes if after clicking
>> on the say logout icon you press the "power button" of the computer the
>> ask me again
>> window comes up and you can verify what you want.
>> Sometimes it even works. Mostly the screen goes blank and hangs.
>>

> I am having a hard time understanding. Please confirm that you are
> using Ubuntu 9.10 with KDE, and specify which KDE version. Also, which
> KDE menu do you use (Kicker, classic, or Lancelot). Then please list
> in numbered steps what you are doing to logout, and exactly at which
> point what happens differes from what you expected. Thanks.

no problem

KDE 4.3.2  synaptic installed after installing Ubuntu 9.10

I have no idea what you mean by

Kicker, classic, or Lancelot

or how I would find out. However on a click by click basis:
K -> leave -> shutdown
    - menu disappears and nothing happens (differ)
press Power button computer box (why did try this? - unknown)
    - conformation dialog (sometimes) appears (differ)
      otherwise nothing happens (differ)

click on shutdown if it appeared
    - dialog disappears and KDE dies but system does not shutdown

switch off power on back of computer
    - computer shuts off - expected!

There are other problems;
    A mount point disappeared - easily to fix but what happened?
    my account was removed from the sudoers file
       (dkr is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.)
       This is a real problem as I have never looked at this feature
       and do not know where is hides or what it looks like. But I need
       it right now!
Somewhen near the time this happened I did:

    sudo usermod -G audio dkr

but I do not know if this was the cause. "dkr" is now in the audio group.

I cannot find the "device name" of a usb flashmemory this is what is
added to dmesg
when I insert the device:
 > [ 1412.940018] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
address 10
 > [ 1414.700516] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
address 10
 > [ 1415.972021] hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
 > [ 1416.452018] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
address 10
 > [ 1418.260016] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
address 10
 > [ 1419.988018] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
address 10
 > [ 1421.716014] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
address 10
my Kwallet exports are on there - I could use all of those passwords but...

my audio problems are half fixed - i.e. I (used to until the sudoers
thing) sudo alsa force-reload
after which, for a time,it works. then I would do it again and for a
time ...

booting - GRUB is VERY slow and the installed version is 1.97~beta4
which seems odd to me.
further a dual boot version of Mandriva 2010-64 has gone missing from
the list. This is just a toy &
I do not care.

are all of these problems related? I do not know, but this thing is not
really usable
as it sits. Perhaps I will have to try over with 8.10 - I hope not!

Thank you for your time and effort!
dkr