9.10 is a black eye for Ubuntu

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Sat Nov 7 05:22:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 16:08 -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> thomas wrote:
> > Ray, it is good that you had a trouble free experience.
> >
> > But, most of us did not.
> >

> I can appreciate the need to vent when you're the unlucky demographic
> that gets issues on an upgrade, and there always is one.
>
> However, I've been an active participant of this list for the past 2
> years or so, and judging by what I've been seeing here so far, the 9.10
> upgrade is the smoothest most trouble free yet.  (Caveat: that's hardly
> a scientific sampling, and assumes that the mailing list still receives
> the same percentage of help requests.)
>
> You should be careful with words/phrases that are hyperbolic.  In this
> case, I think "most of us" is not remotely close to reality.

  I would not call my experience trouble free, but the problems atm seem
to be cosmetic or related to dealing with mythtv version conflicts on
the master back end which is running SuSE.  I will make one major
complaint, when the reboot right after the initial upgrade occurs, /home
should not be mounted read only, that it's mounted read/write on the
next boot indicates a set preference that I cannot figure out why it
ought to be required.