9.10 is a black eye for Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 6 20:33:29 UTC 2009

On 11/05/2009 06:13 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Roger wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>
>>> Here's a thought that just popped into my head (not tested).  What if
>>> apt-get update is working just fine, but the GUI update manager pops up
>>> because it detects the updated packages now available in the package
>>> database?
>>
>> Your thought makes a lot of sense. I had update notifier enabled to
>> start up even though in the settings I had it setup NOT to notify me.
>> I really don't understand why would someone go through the trouble of
>> opening a terminal then typing "apt-get update" just to have a
>> graphical tool show up and do
>> what they can do with just typing "apt-get upgrade".
>
> That's not _quite_ what happens.  The thing is, cron runs an "apt-get
> update" daily, so rather than have the update-notifier do it itself, it just
> pops up whenever an update occurs.  Doing "apt-get update" yourself just
> happens to mimic what would have happened automatically.

That sounds like the magical update-manager popup that was introduced in
Jaunty.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910

<quote>
Change in notifications of available updates

Ubuntu 9.10 launches update-manager directly to handle package updates,
instead of displaying a notification icon in the GNOME panel. Users are
notified of security updates on a daily basis, but for updates that are
not security-related, users will only be prompted once a week.

Users who wish to continue receiving update notifications in the
previous manner can restore the earlier behavior using the following
command:

gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false

(This change was made in Ubuntu 9.04.)
</quote>

Forgot that I hadn't done this on the 9.10 laptop & the little bugger
just popped up on me :-)