When installing ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala will grub2 work together with grub legacy

bqz69 bqz69 at telia.com
Fri Nov 6 17:43:00 UTC 2009

On Friday 06 November 2009 06:13:46 am Goh Lip wrote:
> Niels, I do not use encryption on partitions, but after googling, I am
> under the impression that we may have problems accessing these
> partitions from other OS. To access, this website shows how..
Yes, I cannot access other encrypted OS

> What
> modifications did you put in /etc/default/grub?
I changed "GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0" to "#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0"

> But as long as you can
> type in some simple commands at grub prompt, I don't think it's much of
> a problem booting up any OS.
Ok, I agree on that, but even that might be a problem for most newbies *laugh*

> I thought
> grub-legacy can never access encrypted partitions.
Yes, that's the reason I have /boot sda1 (unencrypted) one its own partition,
and then / sda2 (encrypted) on another partition.

I am installing all my encrypted ubuntu OS with ubuntu alternate cd.

I have made a minihowto about how to do that (a bit old):

http://www.minihowto.org/encrypted_ubuntu_804_install_howto/Encrypted ubuntu
8.04 install a small minihowto.html

> Niels, I have a partition, distinct and separate from my OS /boots, to
> do my booting to all my OS in any partition, so I don't really modify
> any OS grub.cfg or menu.lst at all, even with kernel updates. This
> partition was set using grub-legacy and I had it converted to grub2. I
> also converted my 8.04-hardy (kde 3.5.10) to grub2 as well.
Ok, that's too complicated for me, but probably a possibility. :-)