problems in upgrading to/installing Ubuntu 9.10

vsrk sarma vsrksiva at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 07:36:54 UTC 2009

Till two days back my HP-Compaq nx6115 notebook (AMD Turion64)
 was working dual boot with Windows XP home Edition on two partitions(sda1 &
sda5)
 of 40GB each and Unbuntu 9.04 on other partitions(sda6 & sda7).
Then, I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10. It was not successful with blank
screen
at booting.
Then, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.10 fresh from CD. while installing files a
alarm was
observed regarding one of windows partitions(sda5). Installation was not
successful
 with GRUB alarm and GRUB Rescue prompt. Is there any way rescue attempt
could be made?
Further, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.04(earlier) version from CD. The problem
persisted.
I could recover Windows installation by FIXMBR in repair mode with
installation CD.
Finally, I had to delete second Windows Partition (sda5), before I
successfully, reload Ubuntu 9.04 again.
My queries:
How to use GRUB Rescue?
Could the stuation be handled better without need to delete of sda6(loosing
data)?
Is it safe to attempt to install Ubuntu 9.10 once more? If so with what
steps?

--
vsrk sarma