Network-manager problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 5 19:36:47 UTC 2009

On 10/30/2009 04:48 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I'm in a catch-22 situation!
> I have installed -on a laptop - Karmic and it runs OK, except..
> network-manager(as usual??) doesn't like wireless. After installing -
> from a USB-stick - the Broadcom drivers and some changes in
> /etc/network/interfaces NM sees my wireless even connects and get an
> IP-address from the DHCP server. Sο far so good! and when I don't
> connect or do anything the connection stays on.
> However, when I make a connection and e.g. try to lookup a page, then
> after <1 minute the connection is broken and NM says I'm off-line.
> Looking in the syslog I see every 2nd minute the following message:
> Oct 30 12:13:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
> Oct 30 12:15:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
> and suddenly:
> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_DISCONNECTED -
> Disconnect event - remove keys
> followed by:
> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0) supplicant
> connection state: completed -> disconnected
> Then a lot of messages as wlan0 is trying to come up again and suddenly
> kernel messages tell the device is up again but it is apparently looking
> for IPv6 routers - which of course aren't available - and NM says that
> wlan0 is disconnected.
> I hope somebody has an explanation and if anybody knows a solution.
> (install wicd is not an option as I cannot connect to the Internet!!)
> Hope somebody can shed some light in this problem.
> Joep

I am getting the 'CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS' mgs every two minutes as
well. However, my wireless network connection has been staying up w/o
issue (so far). My card is a Dynex PCMCIA broadcom chipset (BCM4318
[AirForce One 54g) & b43-fwcutter version 1:012-1 & Wpasupplicant ver
0.6.9-3ubuntu1.

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bkarmic+%2B"CTRL+EVENT+SCAN+RESULTS"&btnG=Search>

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpasupplicant/+bug/352118
[WPA writes possibly unnecessary messages to the system log]

More:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text="CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS"&field.actions.search=Search>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpasupplicant

Also, may be of interest regarding your disconnects:
<https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/427102>
[Network-manager silently disconnects frequently]