9.10 is a black eye for Ubuntu

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Thu Nov 5 19:07:12 UTC 2009

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 09:50:47AM -0700, Clint Tinsley wrote:
>
>> community.  9.04 was great, it worked, Gloria Mint 7 put on the polish.
>>

> YMMV, 9.04 sucked out loud for me. But kinda the point of a 6 month release
> cycle is to always have new->better->different. The safe choice is LTS that is
> more conservative and you don't have to worry about what side of "bleeding
> edge" you wind up on, the painful or the cute.

+1

Why are new users being encouraged to use the latest and greatest
release.  LTS is where I point new users unless they are up for working
with the the development.  Karmic is making a bunch of changes which
seem fundamental and will inherently have bugs which need to be worked
out.  Heck, even a LTS will have some issues depending on user and
hardware.  What I don't agree with is having the 6 month release more
prominent on the download page than the LTS; or at least having LTS a
bit more obvious for new users.

We should also consider moving this discussion to Sounder.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."