Change Ubuntu reporting language in Terminal (Konsole)

LLLActive@GMail.com lllactive at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 17:57:29 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I am supporting a user that uses a German default language installation
of 9.04 over ssh connections. On this German default language system,
the man pages are shown in English; but that is OK.
I am trying to generate a *.deb package with alien (sudo alien -c
Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm). The reporting language for the
errors comes in German at the end for "dpkg-shlibdeps:".

:~/Downloads/Epson/ALC1100/RPM$ sudo alien -c
Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm
[sudo] password for ~:
Package build failed. Here's the log:
dh_testdir
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_clean -k -d
dh_installdirs
dh_installdocs
dh_installchangelogs
find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name debian -print0 | \
                xargs -0 -r -i cp -a {} debian/epson-alc1100-filter
dh_compress
dh_makeshlibs
dh_installdeb
dh_shlibdeps
dpkg-shlibdeps: Warnung: Abhängigkeit von libgcc_s.so.1 könnte vermieden
werden, falls »debian/epson-alc1100-filter/usr/bin/alc1100« nicht
unnötigerweise dagegen gelinkt wäre (es verwendet keines seiner Symbole).
dh_gencontrol
dpkg-gencontrol: Fehler: aktuelle Host-Architektur »amd64« erscheint
nicht in der Architekturliste (i386) des Pakets
dh_gencontrol: command returned error code 65280
make: *** [binary-arch] Fehler 1
find: "Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2": No such file or directory

I need the Warnings in English (I do understand the German fully, but
want to communicate with the programmer in English by sending it to them
in English).

The locals installed are:

sudo locale-gen
Generating locales...
  de_DE.UTF-8... up-to-date
  en_GB.UTF-8... up-to-date

How can I get English outputs without changing the system defaults?  Can
it be set to en_GB.UTF-8 as default for the CLI sessions over ssh, but
keep the GUI in German?

TIA

 :-)
Al