Network Manager

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 16:51:02 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> I decided to learn how Network Manager (NM) works. I went to
> Google and entered "ubuntu,networkmanager" and I got the usual
> 10,000 hits.

> Starting from the first I read the next 5 web pages and the
> whole experience was similar to trying to get NM to work. But
> I did get that NM is still in Beta stage. Also most people
> were not able to get NM to do WiFi. The goal of the NM program
> is to have NM always work with a wired Internet, and
> automatically switch to WiFi when wired Internet is turned off.

> Alas the WiFi part does not work.

I have only used Network Manager intermittently (when setting up boxes
for family and friends or when installing a new version of a
distribution) and it is the default app for managing network
connections for SO MANY distributions that it is hard to believe that
it is as bad as you and some others claim that it is. It has always
worked perfectly well for the people for whom I have installed and
configured it (I can assure you that they would be far less flattering
of it and me than you are of NM if it failed, even irregularly). You
have built up such a strong pre-conceived notion of NM's failings that
it will never work for you.

Are you claiming that NM is beta software simply because it is version
0.8? If that is the case then Grub (1) was beta forever. Furthermore,
it is the default at my previous and current employers where we were
running a few thousand RHEL boxes each. I can assure you that we would
have had to purge Grub from every box if it were beta, in order to
prevent the "business-side" of the company from blaming our use of
beta software for this or that server failure.

Please refrain from making such bizarre and unsubstantiated claims in
a public forum.