Dist Upgrade

Emil Payne EHSPayne at angelwoodpines.org
Thu Nov 5 15:52:51 UTC 2009

Ok, most of my home/user/ directory has links to another drive for
things like Documents, Photos, etc.  So those are sorta backed up.  I
went ahead and copied /home/user to the backup drive, along with
/var/www.  There is nothing under /opt.  I did dpkg -l to list all my
installed packages and then went through and deleted the entries in the
resulting text file for all lib... packages, since I never install any
other than as dependencies.  That way the file is smaller, although it
would still take 32 pages to print out.

I went ahead and just fully reinstalled 9.04 from CD and moved the other
stuff back.  Did an update then an upgrade then about three more updates
until it wasn't showing anymore.  Took about two days. (I really hate it
when it takes over three hours to download files, I go to bed, and I
then find out it asks a couple of quick questions before installing
files and just sits there all night for me to answer 'Yes, just do the
default options'!  =P

My home options have been saved.  The desktop still has my
customizations. Had to redo the links since the 2nd disk name is now
that long UUID number (still have to fix that and get it to automount.)
Thunderbird is great after replacing to old default profile. Great since
I have about three dozen email addresses, tons of folders and the
filters to go with them.  And Shiretoko is now back to Firefox with all
my current bookmarks, passwords, add-ons,etc.

So far I am happy.  Haven't run across any major problems yet.

Thanks for all the help.

Emil

--
Fantasy Football Rules: