Re: What does the letter »r« stand for in /dev/sr0?

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 14:18:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>wrote:

> Verde Denim wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Derek Broughton
> > <derek at pointerstop.ca>wrote:
> >

> > Translation - I don't know either... lol
>
> Actually, I'd already said that - and suggested "raw" as a wild guess.  But
> I was intrigued that Detlef thought that knowing what it stood for would
> prevent errors, since I really can't imagine how most of us would need to
> know it.
> --
> derek
>
> And knowing the acronym definitions probably won't help the learning too
much, either.
But, according to the Linux SCSI sub-system documentation I have, it would
have to stand for _SCSI_ _READ_ since it is a cd drive that is designated
read-only. For generic operations on the same device, it would map to sg0
(_SCSI_ _GENERIC_) in order to gain the write perm. Apparently all of the
devices like /dev/sr0, /dev/st0, /dev/nst0x map to an sg device for generic
operations.
Although _raw_ seems to be a good logical choice.

Regards

Jack