a linux virus: NetworkManager

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 13:19:38 UTC 2009

Nathan Bahn wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Christopher Chan <
> christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>
>> Rashkae wrote:

>> didn't work,
>>>>

>>> Any DHCP client, including network manager, will overwrite the contents
>>> of resolv.conf
>>>
>>> Moving along, nothing to see here.
>>>

>> Except that he does not use dhcp...
>>
>> Nuke networkmanager from orbit I say!
>>
>> --
>>

> This reminds me of something I was asked to troubleshoot this past Tuesday:
> This guy had upgraded his machine to Karmic Koala and was now unable to
> connect wirelessly  to any access point.  I don't know diddly squat about
> C.L.I. commands, but for the most part I can make my way around the G.U.I.;
> anyway, I eventually find out that the default setting somewhere was for the
> proxy server setting to be on!  Go figure!  (I certainly can't.)  Anyway,
> after I turned it "off" -- as it were -- the machine connected just fine
> wirelessly.....  I relate this because I find it very strange.

	On both Jaunty and Karmic on my laptop I installed the system
in it's partition and let the new grub control things which it
always does, and then when up discover WiFi doesn't work. No
problem right? Just put the password for my WiFi router in
Network Manager.

	I have NEVER found out where to put the password! So my fix
is to plug in the Internet and when NM gets that right, I have
an invocation that goes:

	$ sudo apt-get install wcid

The system reboots and wcid puts up a panel asking for my
password. I give it and from that point onward it works.

	NM needs a lot of work. It does work fine on wired Internet
but on WiFi it is hopeless!

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI