How to call a move from 9.04 to 9.10 as a new install?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 15:59:34 UTC 2009

>>The problem is that Ubuntu uses the same word "upgrade" for a
>>different process: that of gutting and salvaging the BMW. Therefore to
>>avoid ambiguity I ask what the correct word is for the procedure I
>>described.
>
> That is my point. The term upgrade cannot be used this way and not be
> ambiguous. To disambiguate, you must say:
> Upgraded via "In-place Upgrade" or "Wipe and clean Install"
> If it is a first time install, that is a First-Time Install of Ubuntu
> or New Install depending on the context.

I see, thanks.

> Don't believe me, buy Windows 7 Upgrade. You can do an in place upgrade
> of Vista or clean install; the Windows installer drives both processes
> but one preserves your data and the other does not.

It's been a long time since I've let Microsoft's definitions of
technical terms influence my option. I think that in reference to
Windows 7, the term "upgrade" refers to the price one pays, not to the
technical details of the operating system.

>> 3. Anyone who comments on this has too much free time on his hands.
>>

>>While you may have too much free time on your hands, it is important
>>for those of us responsible for maintaining Ubuntu installations to
>>differentiate between freshly installed systems and those which were
>>converted from one version to another.
>
> I realize this. I thought it would be obvious that this was a joke
> given that I was...commenting...on it. I obviously underestimated your
> seriousness with the subject matter so please forgive my unwelcome
> humor.

And please forgive my rashness. 1:1 we're even! Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il