Grub error 24 after 9.04 kernel update, continues with upgrade to 9.10

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 4 15:55:39 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 11/3/09, Brad Anderson <eco at gnuk.net> wrote:

> From: Brad Anderson <eco at gnuk.net>
> Subject: Grub error 24 after 9.04 kernel update, continues with upgrade to  9.10
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 7:44 PM
> Excuse me if cross posting between
> the forum and here is frowned upon.
>  My forum post got no replies.
>
> At some point I started receiving grub error 24 at boot
> (Attempt to
> access block outside partition). Selecting another kernel
> from the
> list allowed me to boot. I looked into it a little but was
> too busy at
> the time to investigate fully. It seemed that people who
> switched to
> ext4 were getting this because they failed to run
> grub-install after
> the switch. I was still running ext3 so that didn't apply
> to me.

Googled for grub error 24 gave numerous hits:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=grub+error+24+attempt+to+access+block+outside+partition&aq=0&oq=grub+error+24&aqi=g2g-m1

Have you tried to run sudo update-grub from the kernel that wont boot.  Maybe you can run the recovery kernel and access the cli as root then run the command listed above.

> I upgraded to 9.10 and am still receiving this error. I've
> been
> googling around a lot lately but with no success. I
> switched over to
> ext4 after I suspected a change to grub to support ext4
> affected the
> way ext3 worked but the problem has remained unchanged.

I think you are trying to do too many things at once.  Should have resolved the first problem before upgrading and changing grub, IMHO.

> The upgrade to 9.10 left me with two kernel versions:
> 2.6.28-15-generic (which does work) and the current
> default
> 2.6.31-14-generic (which doesn't boot).

Try booting to recovery mode as mentioned above for the 2.6.31-14-generic kernel and run update-grub as root.  Then reboot. May not fix the issue but wont hurt.

> I've grub-install'ed, fscked, removed all other hard disks,
> checked
> for hard disk errors with SeaTools, and just about
> everything else I
> could find to try with no luck.

It would certainly be easier to correct if you hadn't made so many changes.  At this point you may have to just reinstall with the live or alt CD.

Snipped large data overload here. I did scan through it but saw nothing that caught my eye.