Imminent disk failure: Serious warning or bug? In Ubuntu 9.10.

Dustin Larmeir dustin at larmeir.com
Wed Nov 4 12:28:36 UTC 2009

I don't know about your particular model, but on my external hard drive (
Seagate Freeagent) I was able to pull the casing off and all that was inside
was a standard sata drive - ref:
http://larmeir.com/2008/12/seagate-freeagent-500gb-external-usb-hard-drive/

You could probably do the same and test it directly from the controller on
your system. It'll take a bit of work but standard testing tools like
smartctl, hdparm and manufacturer tests will work. - Dustin