9.10 upgrade not going well

Jeremiah Perry jeremiah.perry at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 04:22:48 UTC 2009

Hello,

I tried to upgrade to 9.10 today. I have been running 9.04 on my
laptop and used the upgrade button on update-manager. Near the end of
the upgrade, it informed me that the upgrade did not complete
successfully. I do not know why. When I boot up my machine now, I am
unable to boot the 2.6.31 kernel that karmic installed--when I select
it, it just restarts the computer and puts me back in the grub menu. I
am able to boot with the 2.6.28-16 kernel that I had with 9.04, but
then when I get to the login screen and beyond, my touchpad does not
work at all. It appears that I have a lot of the karmic distro
installed but I am wondering if I am getting weird behavior because I
can't use the newest kernel. Unfortunately, I am know little about
such things so I am unable to tell what to do.

Another weird thing, when I try to launch Firefox, it won't start and
tells me that my SQLite is out of date, but I checked and I believe I
am using the most recent package (sqlite3).

I am wondering if I should A) try to fix things so I can boot
normally, or B) to a reinstall.

In the past, I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and from 8.10 to 9.04 with
no problems, so not sure what's going on now. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Jeremiah