Chancing IPs

Artur Frydel artur.frydel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 11:50:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> in my network I have an old laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 running 24/7 for a
> measurement project. This laptop has a WiFi connection with my router.
> Normally it will get an IP from the DHCP range off the router,
> 192.168.nn.mm. This is always the same IP. But every so often, perhaps
> after a week or two weeks it will change its IP to 169.254.7.206 and it

Maybe it's a problem with dhcp lease? Can't you set manual ip addressing?

> router will accept is a web-128 protection the wifi connection is
> unprotected. The router will only check if the mac-address is one of the
> allowed mac-addresses.

WEP protectiong is nothing. Any n00b can crack this by a piece of
software. In a couple of minutes.
Use WPA, or make sure, that your network will be hacked (earlier or
later).

--
Artur 'bzyk' Frydel
"Always look on the bright side of life."