When installing ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala will grub2 work together with grub legacy

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Wed Nov 4 06:28:45 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:
>>> $ sudo grub-install
>>> $ sudo update-grub
>> I tried that, and it did not help.
>>
>> I am using ext3
>>

> Have you tried using the 'rescue' cd ?
>
> I wrote...
>> Note: you've mention you've got the rescue cd, if this is from my
>> earlier message on making iso from grub-mkrescue, yes? then you can
>> easily do the following..
>>
>> at sh:grub> prompt, type "ls" (without quote marks)
>> this will show all partitions
>> type "search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg" and it will show partitions with
>> grub.cfg.
>> type " search -f /boot/grub/menu.lst" and it will show partitions with
>> menu.lst
>>

>> to boot to grub.cfg partitions, type
>> configfile (hd0,x)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>> to boot to menu.lst and windows, type
>> set root=(hd0,x)
>> chainloader +1
>> boot
>
> Does "search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg" give you (hd0,5)? Pls get back with
> the output. It should have this and boot using
>
> configfile (hd0,5)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> If booted to sda5/6, then do the grub-mkconfig and the grub-install.

I add, if above fail, then at any grub2 prompt, either at sda9 or
mkrescue cd......

set root=(hd0,5)
linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash
initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic

If this cannot boot, then boot to sda8, 9.10 and at terminal,
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/dev/sda5 /dev/sda

check from sda8 if grub.cfg at sda5 has entries, if not copy entries
from grub.cfg of sda8 to grub.cfg of sda5. and add the following as
first entry

set root=(hd0,5)
linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash
initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic

Then reboot.

If this again fails, I am sorry I cannot go further, maybe it has to do
with your encrypted sda6.

But, let us know, okay?

Good luck,
Regards,