Jaunty Jackalope (RESOLVED)

James Michael Fultz croooow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 03:24:23 UTC 2009

* NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> [2009-11-02 18:50 -0800]:
> On 11/02/2009 06:42 PM, John Graddy wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 16:02 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> >> No. The md5sum will change when you transfer the iso.
> >>
> > I'm continually impressed by the knowledge of folks on this list.
> >
> > I didn't have a clue that the md5sum would change.  How do you learn
> > about that kind of stuff??
>
> From this list :-) There was quite a discussion about this very issue
> some time ago. I'll see if I can dig out the thread tomorrow.

Then someone was misinformed.  The MD5 sum should match if a file copy
operation is error-free.  Copying a file between storage devices is
equivalent to downloading it for as much as the MD5 sum should remain
consistent.  Just today I copied an ISO between two disks and was able
to verify by MD5 sum.