Dist Upgrade

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 2 23:58:54 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Emil Payne <EHSPayne at angelwoodpines.org> wrote:

> From: Emil Payne <EHSPayne at angelwoodpines.org>
> Subject: Re: Dist Upgrade
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 5:17 PM
>

> NoOp wrote:
> > On 11/02/2009 12:06 PM, Emil Payne wrote:
> > ..
> >> What the heck is lenny doing in there?  I
> don't see lenny in my
> >> repository lists anywhere.
> >>
> >> Dell-Mint john # apt-get update
> >> Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org
> karmic-proposed-updates Release.gpg
> >> Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org lenny
> Release.gpg [1032B]
> >
> > Umm... why is your repository target set for
> us.debian.org?
> >

> I don't know.  I used synaptic to re-install
> update-manager in case
> there was a problem and it wiped out all my third party
> repositories
> like medibuntu, so I just used it bare hoping to get an
> upgrade.
> Synaptic showed no new upgrades or even updates, but
> update-manager
> showed a bunch of upgrades.  Now it is telling me
> things like it is
> unable to upgrade from lenny to jaunty.
> etc/apt/sources.list and
> ./sources.list.saves all have "karmic" listed as the
> distro.

I think that when you reinstall update-manager, you start off with the basic Karmic repos, ie., main, restricted, universe and multiverse.  You can use software sources from the gui to activate canonical partners, medibuntu and whatever you want to manually add.  Of course, you can also do this via sources.list but the gui may be easier.  I could be wrong but it seem like every time I upgrade a version only the first tab in software sources is ticked in and I have to add all the rest. It is strange that lenny got into your sources.list without you adding it.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net