info about hdds in raid

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 23:06:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Eugeneapolinary Ju <
eugeneapolinary81 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> How can I tell wich HDD to swap, when the "cat /proc/mdstat" says one HDD
> of the RAID1 array has died?
>
> Does the HDD's has some serial numbers, that I can see in "reality", and I
> can get that number from e.g.: a commands output?
>
> How could I know wich HDD to swap in e.g.: a RAID1 array?
>
> thank you
>

> cat /proc/mdstat

should give you the devices in your RAID1 array.  For example, lets say they
are /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1

Now, if you run

sudo lshw

you will get a lot of output about your system.  Look for the disk section
with the failed /dev/sd device in it.  For example, let's say /dev/sda1 is
the failed drive.  When I do sudo lshw on my system, I end up with this disk
section relating to /dev/sda:

  *-disk:0
             product: ST3320620AS
             vendor: Seagate
             physical id: 0
             bus info: scsi at 0:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/sda
             version: 3.AA
             serial: 4QF0028B
             size: 298GiB (320GB)
             capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
             configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=000d9eb3

This should give you all the information you need to determine which
physical drive it is.

Hope this helps,

Preston