When installing ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala will grub2 work together with grub legacy

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Mon Nov 2 07:47:53 UTC 2009

user1 wrote:
>  >Check the output carefully, you need to check at least 2 things..
>  >o  your modifications on 9.04 is correct as your previous post
>  >o  your 8.04 on sdb2 is showing up as well as other OS you may have
>  >  (still talking about the labtop?... I am slightly confused.. but
>  >really.. never mind)
>  >
>  >If all is okay... take your time checking this out...then...
>  >
>  >sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
>  >to set to your grub.cfg.
>

> The contents of 40_customs (setups for sda7 and sdb1) is copied into
> grub.cfg without change
>
> I noted, that sda8  from the blkid is on 2 different lines with
> different contents?

It is difficult for me without looking at your print out of "sudo
grub-mkconfig" to make inference, (I'll would think it'll work) but
since you've got it working from your modifications, to ensure it'll
really work, go to /etc/grub.d/40_custom add your modifications there.
(kdesudo kate /etc/grub.d/40_custom) Your entries will be there when you
do "sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg"

Try out the machine generated and if all works, you can delete your
entries in 40_custom later. If not, you still have your modifications to
boot from.

Good luck.

Regards,
Goh Lip