Slower performance with ext4

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Mon Nov 2 07:19:15 UTC 2009

Christopher Chan wrote:

> Heh, what do you know? I have been burned by XFS after a powerloss and
> got over 4000 zero length files in a postfix queue. No filesystem
> corruption, just zero data files. You want to tell me that postfix does
> not use fsync? You can guess what I did to the XFS filesystem mounted
> for the queue directory. I destroyed it and got ext3 instead in full
> data journal mode. Which I repeated on all the other mtas that had a XFS
> filesystem for their mail queue.

Hmm - not gonna get into trading personal insults , as nothing is to be
gained that way.

You were running this on server grade hardware? or - let me guess - a
workstation with cheap sata drives? I have run many instances of mysql,
postgres and oracle on *server* grade hardware [1] with xfs for probably
the last 7 years and never have *any* data corruption issue in spite of
many power outages...

regards

Mark

[1] meaning a designated server mobo with eec ram and scsi (or sas) hard
drives.