Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 only displays in 800x600 on Intel 82G35 display controller

Alex Janssen alex at ourwoods.org
Sun Nov 1 21:18:46 UTC 2009

"X -configure" produces a xorg.conf file that shows my display
controller properly, but it runs the display in 800x600.  The only
options in System->Preferences->Display are 800x600 and 640x480 and it
does not recognize the monitor, a Viewsonic AW1703wb that should be run
at 1440x900.  I have tried reinstalling the xserver, but no better.
I can not find any bugs reported spcifically for this issue.
U9.04 had no problems with this board or monitor.
Should I reinstall 9.04 and wait a couple of months or is there a fix?
I could try a fresh install as /home is on a different partition from /.

Alex
Intel DG35EC motherboard with 3GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD