Login screen user list

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 20:38:02 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> Florian Diesch wrote:
>> PleegWat wrote:

>>> How do I turn the user list off? I prefer having to type in the user
>>> name. I'm pretty sure the looks and functionality could be configured
>>> before (under System/Administration/Login screen) but that only offers
>>> an autologin option.

>> In GConf set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list to True (using
>> gconf-editor or gconftool)

> Unless something's changed in the past week or so, that didn't work for
> me. Does it work for you? I had to use Alvin's solution:
> $ sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean
> /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

You are right. Changing "disable_user_list" with "sudo gconf-editor"
does not work. You can make the change, the user list appears at boot,
and when you go back to "disable_user_list", it is selected.

"sudo gconf-editor" opens gconf-editor as root. Is root not allowed to
write to the conf file its GUI edits even though the edits are
recorded as having been made?!

"sudo -u gdm gconf-editor" opens gconf-editor as gdm but there are no
keys displayed. Is gdm not allowed even to read the keys from the
GUI?!

What am I missing?

No time to try to figure this out tonight. :(