Imminent disk failure: Serious warning or not? In Ubuntu 9.10.

Luis Maceira luis_a_maceira at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 1 19:51:55 UTC 2009

Yesterday on Ubuntu 9.10 (completely updated) suddenly I received the warning "Imminent disk failure!",it seems was gdu-notifier(or so) that generated the warning.Unfortunately smartmontools does not do an effective monitoring/test on this disk Iomega Prestige mobile(not on smartmontools database etc.).When I run Solaris,Ubuntu9.04 from the same disk everything seems OK and I do not hear special noise or feel high temperature or read/write operations seem not normal.Besides the HDD has 1 month and Iomega drives are reliable.But running Ubuntu 9.10 always that warning.So,this seems a bug but that warning we never know.Besides smartmontools,are there other ways to test the
 HDD?(since I do not have installed Windows or Mac the Iomega tools are useless to me).Or,other way to get
 S.M.A.R.T. data from the drive?Right now,I can analyze S.M.A.R.T data (after some reading about its attributes).